What is POPI?
POPI is South Africa’s data privacy law and it stands for the Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013. It directs when and how organisations collect, use, store, delete and otherwise handle personal information.
What is personal information under POPI?
Personal information is any information that can be used to personally identify a person.
What does this mean for me?
By submitting an application for a Learnership to LDGROUP, there are things we need to do with your information. We need your permission to use that personal information in order to match you to a suitable Learnership.
What information will be used?
Name, Age, ID Number, Gender, Pregnancy Status, Martial Status, Contact Details, Email Address, Medical / Educational & Employment History, Criminal Record, Race, Disability Status, Language, Location & Address and Financial Information.
What purpose will my information be used for?
Your above information is used only for the purposes of the Learnership, gaining workplace experience, interview purposes and sometimes for marketing purposes on our social media.
Here are some examples of where your information will be used:
Before the Learnership:
- Learner database - to record completed qualifications and contact for future Learnerships
- Disability documents list
- Candidate shortlist - for potential interviews with client
If approved for a Learnership:
- Learner Template – for submission to the SETA
- Credit tracking – to monitor credits completed throughout Learnership
- Workplace Deliveries – to plan and allocate to Host sites for workplace experience
- Workplace Register booklet – to draft registers to be used during workplace experience
- Alumni database – for potential job opportunities
- Photos on social media for marketing purposes e.g. success stories or campus events
You will sign the formal POPI Act Consent Document at the time of signing your Learnership Agreement. This will explain in more detail how and where your information will be used. This will also be unpacked and explained during your onboarding / induction process.
By submitting any Personal Information to LDGROUP in any form, you acknowledge that such conduct constitutes a specific and voluntary consent to the processing of such Personal Information by LDGROUP and/or third parties.